Make Your Own Squirtle Costume
Pokemon Go! The Pokemon craze is here to stay and who am I to say no when my little boy says he wants to dress up as Squirtle for World Book Day 2022. Does it matter if the film/TV programme came before the book? Of course not! Today is the celebration of authors and books to inspire young people to search for the wonders from reading. So my boy can be whoever or whatever he wants to be. This little outfit is also perfect for parties and Halloween too! Let‘s make your own Squirtle costume together! 🙂
- Cut 4 hexagons. I used large ice lolly sticks to create the shape.
- Take 3 of the hexagon shapes and cut in half. Arrange the half pieces around the hexagon to create the shape of the turtle shell.
- Flip the pieces over so that the inside is facing up. Sew along the sides until all the pieces are connected.
- Cut a piece of white fabric about 3-4 inches wide and long enough to go around the rim of the shell.
- Fold the white fabric in half lengthwise and attach to the “right” side of the shell.
- Cut an oval shape for the underside of the shell. (I had to use 2 pieces because my first oval shape in white was a bit thin, so I layered an extra black piece afterwards).
- Line up your oval shape fabric on top of the white rim so that it‘s on top of the “right” side of the shell.
- oval backpiece “right” side facing down —> white rim —> hexagon shell “right” side facing up
- Sew all the way round leaving a small opening about 4 inches wide to flip the shell rightside out.
- Insert stuffing into the rim and main shell compartment.
- Sew opening.
- Cut 2 pieces of blue fabric for the tail. This is in the shape of quotations marks, make sure it covers roughly half of the shell and make the thin part of the quotation mark shape longer. I made the mistake of cutting this too short and then realising that Squirtles tail comes from underneath the white rim, so had to sew an extra piece to tuck under the shell.
- Sew all around leaving a small opening for stuffing.
- Flip inside out and stuff. Sew opening.
- Add details onto the detail and attach onto the shell.
- For this part, you could attach the shell directly onto the top by sewing or safety pins, but I wanted the option for him to remove it whenever he wanted to. Therefore, I decided to attach some ropes so that he could wear it as a backpack instead.
- Google “Squirtle face” 😛
- I drew and cut out the black eye piece first and then stuck the white and red details on.
- Sew onto hoody and add details such as eyebrows, nostrils and mouth. I did contemplate on just drawing them on, but sewing meant I could possibly remove them in the future. (Purchase hoody from here).
- Use fabric markers to draw details onto a yellow vest. I got this vest from Asda Direct for £4.00 for a pack of 5!
Put the outfit together!
And we’re done!
Trying on the Squirtle Costume
Isn’t this just the cutest! #JasperBean was beyond pleased. He had the BIGGEST grin on his face when he was putting this on and couldn’t stop showing people on his way to school.
Make your own Squirtle Costume
When we’re done with World Book Day, the shell makes a perfect cushion too. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Happy crafting and happy reading! PS. The Pokémon Super Collection Series and Super Extra Deluxe Essential Handbook are perfect for little Pokémon fans
Thank you for joining us on this journey and hope you enjoyed it. Until next time…
Love, MsMamaBean xx